Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
In 2016, Sentara Heart and Sentara Vascular Specialists initiated efforts to more closely align our nationally recognized cardiac and vascular programs. It’s estimated that two- thirds of Americans with vascular disorders also have heart problems.
Sentara Vascular Specialists is comprised of 17 vascular surgeons and two transplant surgeons.This group of experts performs more than 9,000 vascular procedures every year and has deep expertise in treating patients with simple to extremely complex circulatory disorders.
Vascular Interventional Center
The Vascular Interventional Center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH) is one of the country’s most technologically advanced and comprehensive centers of its kind.The center features a dedicated preoperative area and intensive care unit specifically for patients undergoing vascular procedures.
Sentara Vascular Specialists work closely with cardiology, radiology and oncology experts to provide a multidisciplinary approach to vascular and endovascular surgery.The center’s hybrid operating room has top-of-the- line imaging technology found only at a select few hospitals nationwide. Here, our vascular surgeons use advanced endovascular techniques to perform complex procedures, such as abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysm repair. We began work on a second hybrid operating room in 2016, to be open in the fall of 2017.
Endovascular suites at each Sentara hospital allow our physicians to use the newest technology to treat a range of vein and artery disorders, including deep vein thrombosis (DVT), blockages, tears, aneurysms and abnormal narrowing of arteries. Sentara Vascular Specialists treat all disorders involving the circulatory system, peripheral arteries and veins. Vascular services include:
- Balloon angioplasty and stenting
- Treatment of peripheral artery disease
- (PAD), carotid artery disease, kidney disease, diabetic vascular disease and venous disease
- Vein access for dialysis and chemotherapy
- Limb amputation prevention and rehabilitation
Vascular Center Achievements
Our vascular specialists are internationally recognized for superior quality and innovation in treating increasingly complex cases.The team’s achievements include:
- One of the first participants in the Vascular Quality Initiative. This Society of Vascular Surgery program allows us to benchmark and compare outcomes against other vascular centers nationwide.
- Nationally respected vascular surgery fellowship. Our vascular surgery fellowship program, run through Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), is one of the largest in the country. We accept three new fellows every year for a two-year program.
- Global leaders in vascular research. Our vascular team ranks among the top 5 percent in enrollment for clinical trials in which we participate. At any given time, at least 20 clinical trials are underway at Sentara.The breadth of our research is vast, focusing on potentially life-saving advancements such as lower extremity revascularization, innovative stent and balloon technology, and carotid, aortic and venous interventions.
- Stewards of best practices. Our vascular experts share expertise and best practices with other medical professionals every year at the Current Concepts in Vascular Therapies Mid-Atlantic Conference hosted by Sentara and EVMS.
- Transplant experts. Sentara Vascular Specialists is the only group in Hampton Roads and eastern North Carolina that performs kidney and pancreas transplantations.
- Vein specialists. Our vascular experts treat varicose veins, spider veins and other vein diseases at four Vein Center of Virginia locations statewide.
Advanced Aortic Program
The aortic experts at Sentara Vascular Specialists are internationally recognized for their skill at treating the most complicated aortic disease problems. Our surgeons provide a complete range of diagnostic and treatment services for abdominal aortic aneurysms, thoracic aortic aneurysms, aortic dissection and other types of aortic disease.
Since 2009, the Advanced Aortic Program has seen a 40 percent increase in patient cases. This growth is largely attributed to our experts’ ability to use the most innovative procedures and devices in order to manage a range of conditions from simple to complex. Some of the advanced procedures available at Sentara include:
Thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR):
Sentara has one of the country’s largest thoracic aortic programs. When possible, we use a minimally invasive procedure called thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR) to repair the aorta, the body’s major blood vessel.Thanks to our success at performing hundreds of TEVAR procedures, Sentara is among a select handful of centers nationwide asked to participate in two landmark device studies. Our involvement in aortic clinical trials has increased nearly 90 percent since 2000, a true reflection of our program’s excellence.
In situ fenestration:
We are a world leader in an innovative TEVAR procedure called in situ fenestration to revascularize aortic branches during aortic emergencies. During urgent situations, our vascular surgeons use lasers to make holes (fenestrations) in stent grafts to accommodate brachiocephalic or visceral arteries.The stent grafts are used to reconstruct the aorta and its major branches.
Fenestrated endovascular aortic repair (FEVAR):
Our doctors are among the most experienced in the region at performing FEVAR procedures to treat complex abdominal aortic aneurysms once considered inoperable. Our vascular surgeons use computed tomography (CT) imaging scans to custom design a graft that has pre-made holes, or fenestrations.The fenestrated graft is positioned using fusion imaging technology to reconstruct the aorta and the arteries that branch off from the aorta to the kidneys, liver and small bowel.
Sentara vascular surgeons were the first in the country to use thoracic endograft anchoring technology, or EndoAnchors, to stop blood leaks (endoleaks) which can occur following a thoracic endovascular aortic repair.These devices strengthen the seal between a stent graft and the aorta, effectively stopping leaks. We perform more of these procedures at Sentara than any other medical center in the world.